The National Union of Healthcare Workers-CNA (NUHW-CNA) is California’s fastest growing union and is affiliated with the California Nurses Association. We are member-led and dedicated to improving the lives of healthcare workers and the people we care for. We are building a national movement of caregivers to hold healthcare corporations accountable to the public interest and to win affordable, quality healthcare for all.
NUHW-CNA is searching for a talented, hard-working individual committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The ideal candidate for this position will be values-driven, self-motivated, resourceful and a strategic thinker. In addition to experience in human resources, supervision, financial and resource management, s/he will also bring excellent written and verbal communications skills; seven to ten years of progressive leadership and management responsibility, preferably in a union or nonprofit organization; and well-developed political awareness with a history of social change activism.
The Director of Operations & Finance works in our Bay Area office and is a member of our senior staff team, responsible for finance (accounting and membership); administration; facilities. The Director reports to the President and/or Secretary-Treasurer and supervises finance, administrative and IT staff. As a member of the senior staff team, s/he participates in strategic planning and organizational development.
Major areas of responsibility:
• Direct financial and operations functions and staff
• Develop, implement and administer HR systems, policies and procedures
• Participate in organizational leadership and management as member of Senior Staff
A. Finance (Accounting & Membership)
- Direct all aspects of finance work
- Prepare organizational budget; develop and monitor budget/s
- Report to President and Secretary-Treasurer on union’s financial condition
- Prepare for annual audit and government filings
- Administer and process payroll
- Research, purchase and update all insurance policies
- Oversee establishment and management of relationship with each employer to guarantee timely and accurate receipt of dues and related data
- Direct office operations throughout California
- Supervise all finance and administrative staff, including IT Coordinator
- Secure and set up office locations as needed
- Oversee production of collective bargaining agreements
C. Human Resources
a. Coordinate staff recruitment
b. Orient new hires to employee benefits, rights and responsibilities
c. Supervise completion of all employment forms
a. Administer all benefits programs
b. Recommend additions and improvements to existing benefits
c. Manage employee leave tracking and reporting
a. Develop, maintain and update Personnel and Procedures Manuals
b. Monitor personnel decisions organization-wide to ensure fairness and equitability
c. Research, develop and maintain compliance systems in such areas as: COBRA, FMLA/CFRA, workers’ compensation, benefits
D. Senior Staff
1. Participate in decision-making regarding organization’s program, policies and practices
2. Assist in guiding organizational goals and strategies
In addition to the attributes cited above, in this hands-on position demonstrated proficiency in accounting and spreadsheet software is essential; familiarity with QuickBooks/QuickBooks Online strongly preferred. Proficiency in computer applications including email, Word, Excel and use of the Internet is required.
Compensation and benefits:
Benefits: Medical, dental, vision, vacation and sick leave, holidays
Email cover letter, resume and the names of three professional references to email@example.com.
NUHW is committed to staff diversity. We welcome qualified
people of all backgrounds to apply.